Monday, August 24, 2015

Anatoly Nirshbergs reasons why everyone should travel




I travel because it is something that I have found myself passionate it about like some are passionate about cooking or painting. There is a certain rush and beauty that fills my soul and pump of adrenaline through my body when I think to myself, “I am not just Anatoly Nirshberg: a son, a friend, a brother… I am Anatoly Nirshberg: the traveller, the student of the world and of its people.” I have found who I am through travelling and let the action itself define me, however, even if you have no passion for travelling, the simple fact of the matter is that travelling is something everyone should do. At some point your life, you should make time to explore the world or at least part of it. And here’s why.

You become more social. Even if you’re travelling with a friend or a few, going to an entirely new place in the world forces you to talk to new people. Whether it be at the local market or just a passerby when you’re looking for directions, you engage with people. And you will find that when you do, they have the most interesting stories to share. Building friendships around the world is an amazing way to help contribute to building our global community.

You become more adaptable. When you’re a seasoned traveller, you will have experienced every type of road block, obstacle, and negative thing that can probably happen while you’re sick. I have missed my fair share of missed flights, muggy and slow busses, bad directions, street food that just didn’t quite sit well, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. At the end of the day, I don’t get mad or frustrated anymore. I’ve learned that life has a habit of throwing some random things in our way and the best thing to do is laugh it off and make the best out of it. You learn to go with the flow.

You learn to value the important things in life. Travel has exposed me to a variety of situations and people. With each story and experience, I have learned there are so many more things than well, things. Materials and the physical things in life have no measure up to the things we can’t hold like friendship, laughter, or courage. I know it sounds cliché, but once you wander out into remote parts of the world and meet the people or zipline for hundreds of feet in the air, you understand this.

But most importantly, you become an aware global citizen. Often times, I have found that the world to any modern citizen is only the country or city they come from. They only care to pay attention what’s going on around them without much care for what’s going on outside. We live in a world together and meeting the people and understanding their day to day struggle humbles you and really opens your eyes. It motivates you to become a better person with a greater sense of empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment